Serving the people of Dodoma Rural District
In the United Kingdom the work of Mvumi Hospital is supported by the Society of Friends of Mvumi Hospital (registered charity 289820).
'The Friends of Mvumi' play an active role in the hospital and its future development by:-
- Promoting and encouraging the sponsorship of student nurses. and doctors.
- Funding the further training of staff in specialised areas such as anaesthetics, sterilisation of fluids and equipment and ultrasound scanning.
- Building new hospital facilities such as the maternity hostel and renovating the hospital wards and staff houses.
- Renovating and maintaining the hospital's vital supplies such as water to ensure that precious water is not wasted.
- Purchasing new technical and medical equipment for the hospital such as the new X-ray system installed in 2008 and its upgrade to a digital system in 2016.
- Procuring and maintaining transport which is needed to bring supplies from Dodoma.
- Buying and installing new laundry facilities.
- Committing themselves to provide incentives to the staff to stay working in this difficult rural location.
- Providing financial support to the hospital and its patients in times of famine.
With the change to designated hospital status the financing of Mvumi Hospital has undoubtedly become more stable, but external donors will still be necessary to support the teaching schools, drugs for chronic diseases, capital development and renovation, patient and staff subsidies and staff training and sponsorship. The Friends of Mvumi constantly examines its role as the status of the hospital changes but will always aim to support the hospital in whichever ways are most beneficial to the patients and staff of Mvumi Hospital.